This week in Pardalis 101, we talked about avoiding vocal exhaustion. We talked about the difference between vocal tiredness and vocal exhaustion. Not clear what the difference? Vocal tiredness is...
This week in Pardalis 101, we talked about avoiding vocal exhaustion.
We talked about the difference between vocal tiredness and vocal exhaustion. Not clear what the difference?
Vocal tiredness is just tired from being busy vocally. You just need to rest just like you need to after a long day at work.
Vocal Exhaustion is from singing when you’re not well or singing during ill.
So what can you ask yourself to avoid these issues:
- are your sleeping enough?
- are you drinking enough water?
- are you eating properly?
- Do you have an understanding of how your body works when singing?
- are you in a good mental place?
- mental health is so important
- are you tense physically?
- are you stretching or working out to stay limber.
So you’re taking a vocal rest …. how can you continue working on your music?
- start looking at your scores?
- do you have an understanding of your pieces or where the composer was coming from?
- if it is a piece that is recorded a lot – have you listened to other versions to be inspired (mind you, i feel that musicians should do this only once they actually know the piece and have a clear understanding of how to play/sing it — so they’re now only inspired not copying)
- understand not just your vocal part but take a look at the other instruments and the chords. A good singer should be able to hear everyone backing them.
- working on rhythm – are you guessing your rhythm? Can you clap it?
- how’s your memory? Work on those lyrics … once you finish memorizing it, it will be so much easier for interpretation.
- Take let your subconscious do some work — don’t think about it and do something fun.
Below is a clip from the Bette Miller’ Movie Parental Guidance. In the scene, Bette is very proud of her granddaughter’s violin abilities. The granddaughter suffers from over self-criticism and doubts herself (partly caused by her horrible teacher) and her grandmother encourages her hang with her friends. In a later scene, Grandma tells her granddaughter about a big audition she had and how she nailed cause she was relaxed cause she had gone out with her husband the night before to relax. This is so important, we need that down time to process and stop ourselves from becoming overcritical and overstressed.